XAT 2022 Exam Pattern – XLRI has released the XAT 2022 exam pattern. Interested candidates can visit the official website i.e. xatonline.in to check the exam pattern. Aspirants should go through the exam pattern once because it helps in understanding the number of questions, marking scheme, which will eventually benefit in preparation. Candidates can refer to this page for various information like marking schemes, syllabus, preparation tips.
XAT 2022 Exam Pattern
Latest – XAT 2022 application form is out. Click here to apply now.
Aspirants can refer to the following information to know more about XAT 2022 Exam Pattern. The below exam pattern is based on last year.
Mode of exam: Computer-based test
Type of questions: Multiple choice questions
Total number of questions: The total number of questions in XAT 2022 will be 100.
Exam duration: 3 hours (9:30 A.M. to 12:30 P.M.)
Medium of examination: XAT will be conducted in English medium only.
Marks for correct answer: For every correct answer +1 marks will be awarded.
Marks for incorrect answer: 0.25 deduction for questions 1-75. No negative markings for the GK section. 0.1 deduction on unattempted questions (beyond 8 questions).
Number of Sections: 4 (Verbal and logical ability, Decision making, Quantitative ability & Data interpretation, General knowledge)
Section-wise number of questions and allocated marks.
|Sections||Number of questions||Maximum marks|
|Verbal and logical ability||26||26|
|Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation||28||28|
XAT 2022 Syllabus
XAT 2022 syllabus is divided into 4 sections – Verbal and logical ability, Decision making, Quantitative ability & Data interpretation, General knowledge. XLRI does not explicitly provide the syllabus but from the previous year’s papers given on the website, we can conclude some of the major topics.
Verbal and Logical ability – Verbal and Logical ability consists of questions on verbal ability, reading comprehension, and logical reasoning. To prepare for these 3, candidates can refer to the following topics.
- Verbal ability – Synonyms, antonyms, jumbled paragraphs, correction in sentences, paragraph completion, contextual use of vocabulary.
- Reading comprehension – There is no definite topic for RC in XAT. Candidates will be provided with a paragraph and they have to answer the questions using information given only in the passage.
- Logical Reasoning – Calenders, analogy, binary logic, blood relations, seating arrangement, sequencing.
Decision making – In this candidate will be given questions to assess the case-solving abilities of a candidate. Questions would mostly consist of topics like – complex arrangement, data arrangement, case lets, etc.
Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation – Quantitative ability and data interpretation are a combination of two different sections. Candidates can refer to these topics for this section.
- Quantitative ability – LCM, HCF, profit/loss, speed/time/distance, ratio/proportion, time/work, algebra, mensuration, venn diagram, logarithms, trigonometry etc.
- Data Interpretation – Bar graphs, pie-charts, graphs, data-analysis etc.
General Knowledge – General knowledge could have questions from current affairs and static GK.
How to Prepare for XAT 2022
Candidates interested in XAT 2022 can refer to the following tips for preparing for the exam.
- For verbal & logical ability, and quantitative ability & data interpretation candidates need not to prepare differently than CAT.
- For these two sections improve your basic concepts. Once the basic concepts are clear you can move forward to solving the questions.
- To simplify calculations during quant and DI, candidates should remember tables, cubes, percentage values etc.
- Revise grammer rules regularly, it will help in understand concepts strongly.
- For reading comprehension improve your reading speed. This can be done reading the editiorials of different newspapers. Reading variety of topics also helps in reading comprehension.
- For current affairs newspapers are the best source. While for static GK candidates can refer to manorama yearbook.
- For general awareness focus more on topics, informations related to economics and business.
- Decision making is the only section in XAT which is unique from every exam. To prepare for this candidates can solve the previous year papers, attempt mock tests. Good reading speed is also very helpful to solve questions of this section.
- Practice mocks test regularly, and increase the frequency of mock test during the last weeks of exam.
Best Books of XAT 2022
Candidates can refer to these books for XAT 2022 preparation.
|Book name||Buying link|
|Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis||Click Here|
|High School English Grammar & Composition by Wren & Martin||Click Here|
|A Modern Approach To Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning by RS Aggarwal||Click Here|
|How to Prepare for Quantitative aptitude for CAT by Arun Sharma||Click Here|
|How to Prepare For DATA INTERPRETATION For CAT by Arun Sharma||Click Here|
|Target XAT 2022 by Disha Experts||Click Here|
|Jabbing The XAT 2022 by RK Jha||Click Here|
|Manorama Yearbook 2021||Click Here|
XAT 2022 Exam Pattern vs XAT 2021 Exam pattern vs XAT 2020 Exam Pattern
Until 2019, 99 questioned were multiple choice questions and 1 question was of essay writing. Candidates were given a topic and they have to write an essay in 200 words. In XAT 2019, the essay writing section was removed. Candidates can refer to the below table for the comparison of the last 3 years of exam pattern.
|Basis of comparison||2022||2021||2020|
|No. of questions in Verbal and logical ability||26||26||26|
|No. of questions in Quantitative ability & data interpretation||28||28||27|
|No. of questions in Decision making||21||21||21|
|No. of questions in General awareness||25||25||25|
|Total no. of questions||100||100||99|
FAQs about XAT 2022 Exam Pattern
A. No, the XAT 2022 pattern is similar to XAT 2021 pattern. Essay writing is not a part of the XAT exam.
A. +1 will b awarded for the correct answer while 0.25 will be deducted for incorrect answer. 0.1 will be deducted for the unattempted questions after 8 questions.
A. Yes, there is a negative marking in XAT. Refer to the previous question for information.
A. 4 sections are present in XAT 2022 – Verbal and logical ability, Decision making, Quantitative ability & Data interpretation, General knowledge.
A. No, there is no sectional limit in XAT 2022 just the overall time limit of 3 hours.
A. No, GK is not considered in the XAT percentile but it is considered in XLRI during interview.