The answer to what should boys and girls wear on the day of JEE Main 2021 exam, is answered in the JEE Main 2021 dress code. This code, or set of guidelines outlines the proper attire for exam day. The purpose of these guidelines is to ensure that students have such clothes on them which do not fall under suspicion of hiding cheating material. Now the JEE Main 2021 admit card, and information brochure tells you exactly what to take to the exam center and also what to wear. Here we will explain the JEE Main 2021 dress code for you.
JEE Main 2021 Dress Code
NTA has officially stated the instructions for the candidates and has issued COVID-19 guidelines with the admit card of JEE Main 2021. Exam will be held from 23 to 26 February.
#1. Footwear (Shoes and Sandals) Instructions in JEE Main Dress Code
Under the ‘important instructions for candidates’ section, point no. 17 clearly mentions that “shoes / footwear with thick soles and garments with large buttons are not permitted.”
As per the official instruction, candidates have to avoid the following:
- Shoes / footwear with thick soles.
- Garments with large buttons.
The dress code is given to the candidates to held smooth frisking at the exam center. Also, fancy garments and footwear may aid unfair practices at the exam hall. To be able to invigilate the students without much hindrances, as simple as possible clothing is recommended at the JEE Main 2021 exam center.
Then, what kinds of footwear can be worn?
- Wear something that has flat soles.
- Avoid fancy footwear with heels.
#2. Clothes to wear as per JEE Main Dress Code
What about the clothes, what can be worn?
- As it officially states, wear clothes with small buttons.
- To be extra cautious, try to wear something that has no buttons / chains.
- Avoid belts, scarf, or any extra accessories in the clothing. (Any metallic item is not allowed at the center).
- Try to wear clothes with simple necklines.
- Do not wear tops / bottoms with many pockets.
#3. Religious Clothing Attire
Important: If religion / customs require you to wear specific attire, please visit the center early for thorough checking and mandatory frisking.
#4. Spectacles and Other Accessories
If you wear glasses, then you can definitely take them to the exam center. But do not carry anything extra like sunglasses.
As far as accessories are concerned, it is best to avoid any sort of accessory. In case you are not allowed to take it inside, then you will not even have a place to keep it before you walk into the center.
It is also best not to take wallets, or such things. If you are travelling alone, in public transport, then you can keep cash as loose in your hands.
#5. Masks and Gloves
As per the JEE Main 2021 admit card, you should wear masks and gloves to the center. But before you enter, you will be given a fresh 3 ply mask. So basically you will not be allowed to wear your own mask, but will have to wear the mask that you get at the center.
Gloves are not mandatory. But you can still carry some to be on the safer side.
Need of JEE Main 2021 Dress Code
The main purpose behind a dress code is to ensure that test takers are not able to hide cheating-enabling things on their person.
Let me explain – JEE Main 2021 is a critical exam. Over 11 lakh students will sit in each of the four sessions. Competition is high for the limited number of premier institute seats. As a result, cases of cheating attempts, malpractices can be expected. And the most common ways of cheating include hiding chits, text material, bluetooth or other communication devices and such things in clothes or items one carries.
Other Things To Keep In Mind While Deciding What To Wear
Besides the dress code, there are some other points you should keep in mind while deciding what to wear. They are as follows.
- Wear weather appropriate clothes. If it is hot, then wear light clothes. If it is cold, then wear warm clothes. Do not expect coolers or heaters at the test center.
- Wear clothes that you are comfortable in.
- Do not wear clothes you feel lazy in. This is a psychological factor, and not a logistic detail. It is said that when you are in your pajamas you feel relaxed and lazy, whereas in clothes you wear to go out, you feel alert and awake.
- There will not be any place to keep any clothes or items at the test center. So only wear what you can keep wearing throughout the exam.
Apart From The JEE Main 2021 Dress code, Take Care of These
On the day of the exam, apart from the dress code, candidates must take care to carry some important things with them.
Items To Carry To Exam Center
Candidates must carry the following items and documents to the JEE Main 2021 exam center on the day of exam.
- JEE Main admit card 2021 with the duly filled undertaking
- Photo ID
- Ball pen
- Mask and gloves
- Additional photograph
- Hand sanitizer bottle (50 ml)
- Transparent water bottle
- Diabetic students can take sugar tablets, fruits like banana, apple, orange
- PWD candidates need to take these
- PwD certificate issued by the authorized medical officer, if claiming the relaxation under PwD category. OR
- PwD Certificate regarding physical limitation in an examination to write as per Appendix-I given in Information Bulletin, if claiming the relaxation under PwD category. OR
- Letter of Undertaking for using Own Scribe as per Appendix-II given in Information Bulletin, if claiming the relaxation under PwD category
Banned items at test center: Instruments, geometry or pencil box, handbag, purse, any kind of paper/ stationery/ textual material (printed or written material), eatables and water (loose or packed), mobile phone/ earphone/ microphone/ pager, calculator, docupen, slide rules, log tables, camera, tape recorder, electronic watches with facilities of calculator, any metallic item or electronic gadgets/ devices.
JEE Main 2021 Exam dates are: 23, 24, 25, 26 February 2021.
Bell Time Schedule
Check the exam timings and other important timings for JEE Main 2021:
|Particulars||First Shift (9.00 AM – 12.00 PM)||Second Shift (3.00 PM – 6.00 PM)|
|Entry in the exam centre||7.30 AM – 8.30 AM||2.00 PM – 2.30 PM|
|*Frisking and other formalities||7.30 AM – 8.30 AM||2.00 PM – 2.30 PM|
|Instructions given by the invigilator||8.30 AM – 8.50 AM||2.30 PM – 2.50 PM|
|Candidates log in to read the|
|8.50 AM||2.50 PM|
|Starting of the test||9.00 AM||3.00 PM|
COVID-19 guidelines has been issued by NTA with the admit card of JEE Main 2021, check the same below:
JEE Main 2021 Exam General Instructions
The candidates can check below some important instructions to follow for JEE Main 2021 exam centre:
- Reach the Centre at the time as indicated against Reporting / Entry time at Centre, in the admit card. After the gate closing time, no candidate will be allowed inside the exam center.
- Verify the location of the test venue, a day in advance so that you do not face any problem on the day of the test.
- Only after the exam is over and after the invigilator’s instructions, you can leave the Examination Room / Hall.
- No Candidate would be allowed to enter the Examination Centre, without admit card and undertaking, Valid ID Proof and proper frisking. Frisking through Handheld Metal Detector (HHMD), will be carried out without physical touch.
- Blank paper sheets for rough work will be provided in the examination Hall/Room. Candidates must write their name and Roll Number at the top of each of the sheet(s) and must drop the sheet/s in the designated drop box without fail, before leaving the Examination Hall/Room. Failure to do so may result in a non-evaluation of your answers.
About JEE Main 2021
Joint Entrance Examination Main is one of the biggest engineering entrance examinations in India. NTA conducts it for admission of candidates in NITs, IIITs, CFTIs, etc., in B.Tech / B.E / B.Arch / B.Plan courses. Only eligible 10+2 qualified / appearing candidates can apply for the exam. Other than this, IITs also consider JEE Main a mandatory eligible for JEE Advanced 2021. Only the top 2.5 lakh qualifiers of JEE Main are eligible to apply and appear for JEE Advanced and get admission in prestigious IITs.
JEE Main 2021 Dress Code FAQs
Ans. Please wear simple t-shirt and pants or jeans. They should not have large buttons. Wear simple footwear without large soles.
Ans. You can also wear simple t-shirt with jeans. Or simple kurta with jeans or leggings, or salwar kameez. There is no restriction on the type of clothes, it should only not have any large buttons. Also, do not wear heels. Wear simple shoes or sandals.
Ans. There is no rule against cargo pants. But they usually have a number of pockets and it creates suspicion. So try not to wear cargo pants.
Ans. You should definitely wear weather appropriate clothing to shield yourself and be comfortable. Just make sure that the sweater or jacket does not have too many pockets or arise suspicion of being able to hide anything.
Ans. There were some news reports many years ago on some female students having to face trouble due to this. But after that NTA takes care to ensure that female candidates do not face trouble due to metal hooks or such issues in metal detector.
Ans. Yes, the dress code has been specified for a reason and the candidates have to follow all the instructions given by NTA with the admit card.
Ans. If religion / customs require you to wear specific attire, please visit the center early for thorough checking and mandatory frisking.