IIT Bombay is all set to conduct GATE 2021. If you are one of the 8.8 lakh candidates who had applied this time, then the three things you should know before you set out for your exam are these: exam day guidelines, important things to carry to exam center, and dress code.
Now we have already explained the exam day guidelines here. Take a quick look at it; IIT Bombay had published a quite self-explanatory video to help you understand the do’s and don’ts. So the next matter of importance is to apprise of what to take to the exam center, what not to take, what to wear, and we will also touch upon dress code.
List Of Things To Carry For GATE 2021 Exam On Day Of Exam
You have to carry only the following items to the exam center.
- A printed copy of GATE 2021 admit card. If you have not already downloaded it, do it now from the GOAPS.
- A valid id proof (Original and Not-Expired) – Note that you have to take the ID that you mentioned in the application form.
- Personal pocket-size hand sanitizer
- A simple pen and / or pencil
- Personal transparent water bottle
- PwD certificate, as prescribed and if needed
Accepted valid id proofs: Aadhar-UID / Passport / Voter id / PAN card / College ID / Employee id / Driving License.
Id proofs for international candidates: Such candidate can carry a valid Passport / Govt. issued id / College id / Employee id.
What Not to Carry?
It goes without saying that you should avoid taking anything that is not listed above. Basically you will not be allowed to carry anything except the above list, and if you have them on your person, then you will have to leave those items at the gate. There will not be any provision for safekeeping of items at the center. So for example if you have your mobile phone, then you will just have to leave it outside, and there will not be any security for it.
A specific list of things that you should not take to the exam hall, are as follows
- Mobile phones
- Physical calculators
- Any other electronic / communication devices
- Loose sheets
- Data or handbooks
- Pencil box / pouch
- Watches of any form etc
IITB has not laid down any particular dress code for the exam day. However by general logic of exam day guidelines, you should keep the following in mind:
- Wear simple clothes.
- Have your own mask and gloves.
- Do not wear something with too many pockets or clothes that are too loose. Such clothes draw suspicion that you could be carrying chits or concealing devices for cheating.
- Wear weather appropriate clothing as there may not be heating / cooling at the centers.
- Remember to take off your watch.
- Do not wear accessories or jewellery to avoid issues at the metal detector.
- Wear simple footwear; ones without too much heels or too high soles. Again, such things may be cause for suspicion of hiding chits or devices.
Important GATE 2021 Exam Day Instructions
The candidates are required to follow the instructions given below on the day of the examination.
- Report to the exam center 01 hour before the prescribed commencement of the exam.
- At the exam hall, stand on the social distancing marks.
- Carry the admit card and valid id proof at the exam center positively in order to take entry in the examination hall.
- The examination staff will verify the documents from a safe distance.
- The photo capturing process will take place at the exam center where the candidates have to remove their masks and maintain eye-level contact with the webcam for clear capture of the face.
- The candidates can leave the exam center in an orderly manner only after the completion of a shift.
- Do not leave any of the personal belongings like mask, gloves, sanitizer, pen / pencil, etc at the exam center.
- At the time of leaving the exam center, drop the admit and scribble pad in the prescribed drop-box.
- Try to maintain social-distancing throughout the examination.
Note: Virtual calculator shall be available on the computer screen at the time of the examination.
What will be provided at the exam center? A scribble pad shall be provided to the candidates on the day of the examination for doing the rough work. The candidates have to write their name and registration number on the scribble pad before they start using it.
Scribe Facility for GATE 2021
PwD candidates / Dyslexic candidates can avail the scribe facility for GATE 2021. Check the details given below. This facility can be availed by those candidates only who have 40% disability.
Scribes Arranged by the candidates themselves
- The scribe must not be appearing for any of the papers of GATE 2021.
- No honorarium shall be paid to the scribe arranged by PwD / Dyslexic candidate.
Scribes Arranged by GATE Officials
- Only those candidates can avail for scribe facility who have earlier opted for the same while filling GATE 2021 application form.
- The qualification of the Scribe arranged by the official authority will not be more than the minimum eligibility criteria of GATE. However, the scribe will be 10th passed or above.
After the exam is over, keep the GATE 2021 admit card safe. It may be needed at the later stages of the admission process. Soon after the exam, the answer key of GATE 2021 will be available that the candidates can check to estimate their performance in the exam
GATE 2021 will be held on February 06, 07, 13, and 14, 2021. For CE, CS, and ME the test will be held in two sessions, whereas, rest of the papers shall only be held in one session. On the exam day, candidates have to carry the aforementioned documents. Only after showing these, you will get entry at the exam hall. Since these are COVID times, candidates also need to follow COVID-19 safety guidelines and carry sanitizer, gloves, mask, etc.
This year, the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is conducted by IIT Bombay. It is a computer-based test held for admission into Master’s programs in Engineering / Technology / Architecture and Doctoral programs in relevant branches of Science and Arts. The test comprises of the multiple-choice questions, multiple-select questions, numerical answer type questions.
You can always download your GATE admit card from the GOAPS. It is available until the exam day.
No, at the exam hall only the hard copy of the admit card is accepted. You must download the admit card on an A4 sheet and carry it in a good condition. It is advised that candidates carry colour printout.
IIT Bombay has not specified any dress code. However, it is better if the candidates wear simple clothes with less pockets and embellishments.
Original valid id card, a printed copy of admit card and PwD certificate, as prescribed and if needed.